Monday, 5 September 2016

Book review | The sky is everywhere

"Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, book worm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery old sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to the centre stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance the two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; on boy takes her out of her own sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding."

Rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

This book has been on my to read list for ages and when I first saw the description I was unsure about it as I felt it would be a bit of a cliche but when I finished reading I'll give you the sun, I just knew I had to read this book. However, once I had read it I absolutely loved it! It comes across as being like a tragic love triangle but it's actually a lot deeper than that and that's what drew me in. I love the way Jandy Nelson writes, she just has a way of telling stories that draws you in and makes you so emotionally involved with the characters that you feel like you are living it with them. I particularly like her use of metaphors in telling the story, they are just so beautiful and enchanting and give the story more depth. 

There are some questions I would have liked answered before the end of the book. One was how did Bailey die? I mean I get that her dying wasn't the main plot of the story but to some extent it was so I just feel it was a detail that could have been mentioned. I also wanted there to be more to Lennie's story. If you have read it, you will understand what I mean. There just seemed to be a lot of things that could have been resolved for Lennie but I guess it was part of the story that they weren't. Overall, I absolutely loved this book and I honestly can't recommend it enough to anyone. It's definitely a must read! If you have read it, feel free to share your feelings in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

Abbie. X

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Your blog is so pretty, I adore the design! This sounds like a lovely and comforting read, I've never before come across Jandy Nelson :D I will look out for these when getting in some autumn reads! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking to read this book for ages! I've such good things about it and this has definitely inspired me to buy a copy! X

    ReplyDelete

© Very Berry Me | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig